Saturday, January 19, 2019

Modeling Tips (or, So You Want To Be an Art Model)

Hi everyone!

A couple of things before I get into today's post.  I was looking through my bullet journal from last year the other day, when I came across something interesting.  Back in January of 2018, I was hired by my first school to start art modeling.  That means I've officially worked this job for over a year now.  Happy Anniversary to me!

Also, today is the first day in a long time where I've had almost nothing to do.  No work, no auditions, no errands.  I intend to make the most of it by doing absolutely nothing.  Well, nothing with the exception of finishing this blog entry.  But that's on my own terms, and also something fun to do.  So I feel good about that.

Over the past few months, people have been reaching out me and asking how they can become an art model.  My response is pretty basic; email different schools, see if they respond, and go from there.  That's how I started, after all.  Today, though, I want to give a more depth answer about how to start working as an art model.  That way, anyone who's curious about pursuing this line of work will have a nice, compact list to come back to whenever they need it.

So without further adieu, here are five tips about how to become an art model, and how to get the most out of your work:

1. Email schools and ask questions
If you want to be an art model, this will be your first step towards booking jobs.  When I first became interested in art modeling, I did an online search to see what art schools in New York City would hire live models.  What I found was a list of art schools throughout the five boroughs, complete with the contact information of people who could potentially hire me.  I sent out emails to a few of them, explaining that I was interested in being a model.  I also included my job resume and gave a basic rundown of my schedule.  I eventually heard back from a few, came in for a few interviews, and soon enough, I was hired for work.

Yes, it was really that simple.  All you have to do is reach out to schools in your area and see what happens.  If you hear back from any of them, don't be afraid to ask questions.  Some that I'd recommend asking would be:

*Would I be posing nude, clothed, or both?
*How many hours a week can I work?
*What's the pay rate per class?
*What types of classes are offered for models to work in? (Painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, etc.)
*Would I be timing my own poses, or would the instructor be timing me?

Chances are all of the information will be specified should you get an interview.  However, it's always good to consider these aspects of the job before you start working.  It's also important to figure out how you feel about the answers to these questions before you accept any jobs.  As with any job, you have a right to be able to work in a way that's most comfortable for you.

2. Get comfortable with your body
So, you've started booking jobs now.  That's great!  But chances are, you may feel a little apprehensive about posing in an actual class.  Trust me, I get it.  Whether it's posing nude or clothed, being on the modeling stand can feel more than little nerve wracking.  I still get nervous from time to time when I'm posing, and that's totally fine!  I've found that one of the best ways to help ease the nerves before a modeling session is to get comfortable with one's body.

There are a lot of ways that this can be achieved.  If you're planning on posing nude, you might consider spending a few private, clothes free moments with yourself each day.  I know this may sound peculiar, but trust me on this.  I'm not saying you have to walk around naked or go to a nude beach.  But taking just five minutes a day to be in your skin and nothing else can really boost your confidence before you go in for a session.  If you're planning on posing clothed, find outfits that not only have interesting colors and patterns, but also make you feel great when you wear them.  Remember, the more comfortable you feel, the better you'll model.

If you're still feeling apprehensive about posing, try to think of a session like giving a live performance.  Everyone that's in the room is already on your side.  They want to see you do well and make sure that you feel safe and happy.  Artists, monitors, and instructors understand how hard your job is, and they want to make sure that you get the most out of your modeling experience.

3. Practice your poses
I cannot stress enough how important it is that you feel comfortable on the modeling stand when you take a pose.  There are going to be plenty of times where you'll be expected to set your own poses in a booking, and there's nothing worse than trying to hold a pose that is torture on your body.  How do you get around this?  By practicing, of course!

I've mentioned that my background as a dancer has helped me a lot with my modeling.  A lot of my poses are inspired postures I'd do in a dance classes, because they're easy for me to hold and provide a lot of different shapes angles for the artists to draw.  Since everyone's body is capable of doing different things, I'd recommend finding something similar that works for you.  Sports and athletic activities that use your whole body, such as baseball or yoga can be a great source of inspiration.  Looking at other paintings with models can also give you an idea of what kind of poses you might want to try.  If you get an idea for pose, take a bit to see how long you can comfortably hold it for.  Play around with standing, seated, and reclined postures, and don't be afraid to get creative.  Remember, though, that while dynamic poses are great, it's not worth hurting yourself trying to hold one.  The more comfortable and relaxed you feel, the better you'll model.

4. Stay healthy
If you take nothing else from this post, remember this: staying healthy is paramount when you're an art model.  It's hard enough trying to hold a pose when you're not sick or hurt, but it becomes exponentially harder to work when you're not feeling your best.  I don't want to get too much into this because I've already talked about it a lot in my other posts.  All I can say is to be smart and listen to your body.  Get plenty of rest, eat well, exercise, take mental health breaks, etc.  Feeling your best will help you produce your best work.  It'll also make others around you feel good and want to work with you more often.  Do what makes you feel good from the inside out, and do it often!

5. Have fun
At the end of the day, creating art is supposed to be a fun and rewarding experience.  Getting to be a part of that process is one of the best parts about being an art model.  Helping inspire others and learning more about art is incredibly rewarding, and enjoying the ride makes it even better.  Modeling is a great way to be creative, silly, and dramatic all within a very supportive and welcoming space.  Remembering to have fun is important with any job.  So relax, laugh a little, and enjoy every moment you get to pose.  You'll be well on your way to having a memorable and great time at your job.

And that, as we say, is that!  For more advice on the subject, I highly recommend checking out the website "Art Model Tips."  Link is included below:

https://www.artmodeltips.com

Thanks again for stopping by, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

See you soon!

1 comment: