Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Ask An Art Model - Q&A #1

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the first Q&A of my blog!  Over the past few days, I’ve had various people ask me questions about art modeling.  Today, I’m going to answer some.  Please keep in mind that if you asked me a question and I didn’t answer it here, don’t fret.  These Q&As will be an ongoing part of “Model Behavior,” so chances are I’ll answer your question(s) in a future post.  So, without further adieu, let's get started!

Q: Do you model nude?
A: This probably the question I get asked the most when I tell people that I'm an art model.  The short answer is yes, in most modeling sessions I do pose nude.  However, this isn't always the case.  I posed for a portrait drawing class a few weeks ago, and I was completely clothed the entire time.  There are also art classes where students learn to draw models who are partially dressed or wearing costumes, in which the models posing are obviously wearing clothes.  I haven't gotten the chance to do one of these classes yet, but who knows?  Maybe I will in the future!

Q: Is it nerve wracking to be naked in front a group of people for a long period of time?
A: Honestly, not really.  For me, there does tend to be a small, initial moment of shock when I first take my robe off and realize I'm the only person in the room not wearing clothes.  But that goes away pretty quickly once I start getting into my poses.  After that, it's all about the work until the end of the class.  There are even moments when I'm holding a pose for a while, and it's not until the timer goes off that I realize I've been disrobed for past few minutes.  How about that?

Q: What do you bring to a modeling session?
A:
Here are some things I always bring with me when I work:
*A robe to change in and out of
*A pair of flip flops
*A small kitchen timer for posing
*A yoga mat, in case I need some extra body support

I've also brought a towel to classes in case I need something to sit on, as well as snacks and water if I know I'm going to be hungry or thirsty.

Q: How do models book gigs?
A: In general, models book gigs through the schools or companies they work for.  In my case, I'll send my availability to the schools I work at via email at the end of each week.  From there, the schools will start to contact me, asking if I can do bookings at specific times and locations for the upcoming week.  If I'm available to do them, I go to the sessions and work from there.

Q: What do you think about when you're posing?

A: It depends.  If it's a shorter pose, I don't tend to think about too much other than holding the pose and when I need to change into my next one.  If it's a longer pose, however, I think about a lot of things.  Sometimes I'll count or recite song lyrics to myself (I've found the opening number from "Into the Woods" is a good time killer, especially when I do all the parts in my head.  :P )  If I'm feeling particularly mindful in a session, I might try to meditate.  But I've found that one of the things I most frequently think about is what I hear the instructors telling the students as they work.  It’s fascinating to listen to the critiques and advice the instructors give, and what the students think about their own work.  It's so cool to hear what both parties have to say, and it makes me appreciate my job as model a lot more.

Q: What's been your biggest challenge as an art model, and how have you overcome it?

A: I think that I have to pick two things for this one.  The first is managing my physical health.  I don't many people realize how physically demanding being an art model really is.  Standing or sitting still for any length of time can be taxing on the body, no matter how dynamic or static the pose you're doing is.  Body parts tend to get stiff and numb, and there's not much you can do about it other than wait until your next break.  I'm still working to overcome this, but I think what helps is observing how my body reacts in different poses, and remember which ones felt the best to do.  Keeping up with my fitness regime is also important.  Things like dancing, yoga, and Pilates all help keep my body strong for modeling.  Finally, whenever I do have a break, I make sure I do some stretching if need be.  That tends to help before I start posing again.

The second thing is remained focused during a pose.  When I'm posing, I can usually find ways to pass the time without much of an issue (see my last answer.)  But on days when I haven't slept well, I'm tried from other jobs, or my mind just doesn't want to stay calm, it's really hard to tell myself to just breathe and focus on what I'm there to do.  Combine that with having body parts getting stiff and achy, and it makes it that much harder to stay in the moment.  Like managing my physical health, I'm still working on overcoming this.  Self talk helps.  Mantras like "You can do this," "It's only a few minutes of your life," and "You're doing fine, just keep at it" are good to say mentally when the pose starts to get harder.  I also try to breathe through any muscle tension I might be experiencing, because breathing is always a good thing to do.  :)

That's it for this Q&A.  Be on the lookout for more posts coming soon.  My tentative posting schedule is going to be every Wednesday and Saturday, so be sure to swing by then.  Thanks so much for reading my blog!

See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment