Saturday, September 22, 2018

Two Is Better Than One

Hi everyone!

Well, it’s official.  Cold and flu season is upon us.  How do I know this?  Considering I can only breathe easily through one nostril right now, and I spent the majority of Thursday night tossing and turning and blowing my nose...yeah, I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet.

Having a cold is never fun, but it’s even worse when you’re an art model with a cold.  Before I did my modeling session yesterday, I couldn’t imagine sitting still for any length of time.  My head was throbbing, my nose was running, and I couldn’t walk for more than a few minutes without feeling winded.  Part of me was seriously considering pulling out of my booking.  But after a quick trip to Rite Aid, a cup of lentil soup from Hale and Hearty, and some nasal spray and Sudafed, my symptoms had called down enough that I was feeling okay to model.  So I made my way over to the East side of town and got ready to work.

In most modeling sessions, there's only one model present.  But yesterday's session was different.  Instead of just me being the primary model, there was also another female model present.  This meant that we would be taking turns posing throughout the session and that the students would have the opportunity to draw us both.

I had done one other class with another model earlier this year.  It's always interesting to see what kind of poses a different model will take.  I think it helps hint at what they do outside of their sessions.  For example, I noticed the other model and I both took poses that really elongated our arms and legs.  (It didn't take long for the instructor to figure out that we were both dancers!)  Seeing another model pose also helps inform me about what kind of poses I might like to try in future sessions.  I think the other model had a great awareness about how she positioned her head in relationship to the rest of her body, which made her poses look very poised.  That's something I'm going to consider in my next booking.  It just goes to show you that inspiration can really come from all places.

Having another model in the class also turned out to beneficial for my cold.  Being able to trade on and off was great, because I ended up getting longer breaks than usual.  For example, while she did a twenty minute pose, I got to sit off to the side and relax for the entire time that she was on the modeling stand.  I'm not sure if I would have felt the best if I had to do all the modeling myself.  Chances are that I would have come home feeling just as physically drained as I did before the session.  So, I was grateful that things worked out the way they did.

Aside from getting longer breaks and alternating on the stand with the other model, the rest of the class was pretty standard.  Shorter poses leading up to longer ones, some standing, some seating, etc. The session went by quickly and I got home shortly after it ended.  But not before I stopped by Walgreens to by some BreathRight strips.  A good decision, considering my cold has gotten significantly better today.  I'm still pretty stuffed up, but I'm on the mend.  I'm hoping I'll be completely well in a few days.

Until then, I'm going to take it easy.  I have the entire day off tomorrow, so I think that sleeping in is ideal.  Fingers crossed that the NyQuil I'm about to take will help me sleep easy tonight!

See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment